Welcome to Brief Encounters, an open-access peer-reviewed postgraduate journal that showcases the interdisciplinary research of scholars, staff, and non-Higher Education partners affiliated with the Consortium for the Humanities and Arts in South-East England.
Focus and scope
Brief Encounters showcases research undertaken by CHASE-funded and affiliated individuals, as well as non-HEI partner members. As an open-access journal, Brief Encounters supports the dissemination of knowledge to a global readership, with the intent that the research it publishes encourages the exchange of ideas outside of traditional academic circles. All articles published by Brief Encounters are free to read and accessible to all with no registration required.
The Editorial Team welcomes contributions in a variety of formats. This includes:
- Academically rigorous and original articles (500 to 4,000 words)
- Reviews of new publications, films, theatre productions, documentaries, and major exhibitions (500-1,500 words). We are particularly interested in emerging scholarship and innovative or interdisciplinary publications and productions.
- Creative work, such as fiction, poetry, videos, posters and photography. The journal website includes a digital exhibition space for creative work. Creative work featured on the website must be accompanied by a critical commentary (500 to 4,000 words), which will be published in the journal.
Who can submit to Brief Encounters?
- CHASE-funded students
- Postgraduate students at CHASE institutions (regardless of funding status)
- Alumni of CHASE institutions
- Individuals employed by CHASE institutions
- Individuals employed by non-HEI CHASE partners
Brief Encounters publishes an issue annually in the spring term.